The core activity of this business unit is the long-term safe recovery and disposal of hazardous waste. Unique to our industry is the variety of locations, techniques and procedures that are used.
In addition to the actual disposal, we carry out the relevant analyses, packaging and transport, which is prepared and accompanied by our team. Since every project is unique, you the client are the one who decides which services are best suited to your project.
Areas of Activity
Disposal and use
The most sensible way to dispose of contaminated waste: We use the structural properties of your waste to protect and stabilise decommissioned areas of the mine.
Typical waste for underground recovery:
- Fly ash from waste incineration plants
- Sinter dust from the metal industry
- Aluminium filter dust
- Contaminated soil and rubble
- Waste containing salt
- Sludges from chemical-physical treatment and galvanic sludge
We deposit your waste in cavities that formerly served as potash and salt mines. The law stipulates that mining areas which no longer meet today's safety standards must be backfilled.
Thanks to the location of the cavities between impermeable clay and salt layers, your waste is stored for the long-term. With five underground recovery plants, K+S has the largest capacity in Europe, fit to last for decades to come.
Underground Waste Disposal
Long-term safe and maintenance-free
Rest assured you have chosen the best way to dispose of your hazardous waste: gas and water-tight hundreds of metres below the surface.
Our underground waste disposal plants are the very best option for your highly contaminated waste such as:
- Waste containing arsenic, cyanide or mercury
- Incineration residues, galvanic residues, filtration and chemical distillation
- Filter dust from the metal industry
- Hardening salt residues
- Contaminated soil and rubble
- Residues of evaporated landfill leachate
These harmful substances are deposited into decommissioned sections of our potash mines. People and the environment are protected well into the future as waste is embedded in thick salt layers well below the groundwater level.
Secondary Aluminium (REKAL)
A use for everything – nearly ideal
Recycling salt slag, refilling salt flux stocks, filter dust disposal. If you can take care of all these with a single call, then you are probably already our customer. Why? Because only K+S offers all these services from a single source.
Comprehensive service for the secondary aluminum industry
The REKAL® plant is situated less than 200 meters from the winding shaft where the raw materials for the salt flux originate. Just next to that is the potash tailings pile, which has been recultivated using a granulate made from your salt slag. As you can see, we get the bigger picture and strive to create a system that can add value on multiple levels:
- A single point of contact for all services
- Considerable recycling capacity and salt flux quantities
- Safe and clever utilization and removal of filter and grinding dust in decommissioned sections of K+S potash mines
- Maximum recycling rate due to open circuit and regular customers for salt slag
- Great salt flux quality
- Simplification of transport and handling, even international (including avoidance of empty trips through combined acceptance and delivery).