• Header Home KALI

  • Header Home esco

  • Header Home Waste-Magement

Our History


The history of K+S Czech Republic a.s. started approximately 100 years ago, namely in 1921 when the erection of the production site in Olomouc was decided and the company Solné mlýny was officially founded. Back then, the Prague headquarters did not yet exist as the trading company named Salz & Kali Handel spol s.r.o was founded not before November 1991.

K+S Czech Republic a.s. as it is today was formed only in 2013 by the merger of the two companies based in Olomouc and in Prague. The following business divisions are represented on the Czech market: K+S KALI GmbH, esco - european salt company GmbH & Co.KG and K+S Entsorgung GmbH.

Headquarters in Prague

The office in Prague commenced operations more than 20 years ago. Under the name of Salz & Kali Handel spol s.r.o, the company was founded in November 1991 by the Mitteldeutsche Kali AG in order to market the products of the East German potash and rock salt industry in the Czech and the Slovakian Republic. After the merger of the East and West German Potash producers in 1993, the Salz & Kali Handel spol s.r.o became a member of the K+S Group.

After the acquisition of Solné mlýny a.s. Olomouc by esco, thus its addition to the K+S Group of Companies, both Czech organizations were merged into K+S Czech Republic a.s. in November 2013.

Since the foundation of the Prague office in 1991, the K+S Group continuously expanded its engagement in the Czech potash and salt markets and has become a reliable business partner for public organizations as well as for the industry and the agricultural sector. Particularly when it comes to de-icing salt, K+S Czech Republic has developed into the most important supplier for the Czech and Slovakian winter road maintenance providers.

Production Site in Olomouc

The salt processing site of Olomouc was founded in 1921 under the name of Solné mlýny, by Čechoslavie, Import and Export Olomouc Limited, and the Prague Czechoslovak Legions Bank. The location in Olomouc-Holice, Moravia, was mainly selected due to its significant position in the centre of the country. The construction works took three years. The company started operations on January 2, 1924 – this date is regarded as the beginning of the history and tradition of the company.

Back then, the plant consisted of a big factory with several production buildings, own repair shops, its own train access and roads, plus storage buildings for more than 20,000 tons of bulk product – it was one of the most modern production sites in Central Europe, equipped with the latest machinery running on electricity and its own water supply.

The rich history of the company has seen several changes of ownership. Nevertheless, it has always maintained its unique position in the production of salt, a strategic material.

Until 1992, Solné mlýny was state-owned. Then private companies, funds and physical entities took hold of the company via coupon privatization and share dealing. In 2012, Solné mlýny was acquired by esco - european salt company, and renamed K+S Czech Republic in November 2013.

Since 1921 the salt mill in Olomouc has been processing salt under the name of Solné mlýny. The brand Solné mlýny is well known all over Czech Republic and beyond the country borders. Today, major part of the salt processed in Olomouc is coming from the German esco mine Bernburg.

Chronology Timetable

2013

Merger of the two Czech organizations into K+S Czech Republic a.s., with the Prague office becoming the corporate headquarters


2012

Acquisition of Solné mlýny, Olomouc, by esco – european salt company GmbH & Co. KG, a K+S Group member


1993

Salz & Kali Handel spol s.r.o, Prague, becomes a member of the K+S Group after the merger of the East and West German Potash producers


1992

Privatization of Solné mlýny, Olomouc


1991

Foundation of today's Prague headquarters of K+S Czech Republic a.s. under the name of Salz & Kali Handel spol s.r.o by the Mitteldeutsche Kali AG


Repeated changes in the business, in the production / processing methods and also in the ownership of Solné mlýny... until it finally becomes state-owned


1924

Start of operations – thus, this year is regarded as the beginning of the history and tradition of the company


1921

Foundation and (start of) construction of Solné mlýny in Olomouc-Holice, Moravia, by the import & export company Čechoslavie and the Prague Czechoslovak Legions Bank